Wednesday, April 27, 2011

to Miss Allison Tisdale from Mr. Samuel Hancock in North Bloomfield, California

March 20, 1874

Dear Miss Tisdale,

I was real happy to get your reply to my advertisement. You sound like a very nice lady. Do you think you could be happy here with me in North Bloomfield? It's an awful long way away from Boston. If life out in California would be agreeable to you, I will gladly send the money you'll need to travel west.

I am a miner here in Bloomfield for the French Company [North Bloomfield Gravel Mining Co.]. My wages are very honest, I promise you. I'm a church-going man - every Sunday. I don't lie or cheat. I can send you references if you want them. I got light brown hair, brownish colored eyes, and no beard or mustache. I'm five feet, eleven inches tall.

Because of the requirements in my advertisement, I'm sure that you are a good and upstanding lady yourself. Being clean and good. You're from the east and of good family, am I right?

Would you like to correspond some before you start traveling? I'm not sure I have much to say, but I can try my best to answer any questions you may have. If you have no qualms about coming to me soon, I can wire [telegraph] you the money.

I am looking forward to meeting you Miss Tisdale.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment