Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Letter to the World

This is my letter to the world,

I'd like to ask a simple question. This has everything to do with what I believe, but you don't have to share my beliefs to understand what I'm asking.

Please, if you have any love for others, train your mind to think differently. 

When I was a child, I had a wonderful and dear friend. We spent hours together. And I should have known...

I had to be told later that not everything was so simple or easy in her life. In fact, something was horribly wrong and ITS NOT SOMETHING TO BE MADE FUN OF OR TAKEN LIGHTLY.

What happened breaks my heart to this very day... I should have known.

But it did, and now, it has given me a very different perspective on what is humorous and what is not.

I'm sure that every day you hear innuendo, or sexual jokes. I'm sure that at some level, the idea of sex is embarrassing or weird. So we laugh. Or the joke has something to do with a so-called "dirty" aspect of sex.

But please... please... please. Why is this something to laugh about? Why is this something we poke fun at? It's not funny at all. In fact, it's the most serious thing in the world.

Think about it... we live in a world that revolves around sex in some ways. Are you saving it? Who will you give it to? When did you give it up? How did you give it up? Did something happen to you? Who did you have kids with? How many people have you had kids with? Did you give a child up for adoption? Did you get an abortion? Did you get a girl pregnant? Are you unable to have children?

Sex is a big deal.

Based on my own beliefs and what I read in a book that I believe without question is God's word, sex is something holy. It's the union of two people. Even the psychology of sex points us to see that sex is something incredible. Something happens chemically, for better or for worse.

"for better or for worse..."

Honestly, it's that aspect of how sex effects us that makes me so uncomfortable when people joke about it.

Why would you treat something so holy as a joke?

Why would you take something that scarred a little girl and giggle about it?

That just seems wrong to me.

Truthfully, we live in a world that's far from perfect. The unthinkable happens all the time. It's reality. But for me, as a Christian, I'm not going to just go ahead and accept it. Why on earth would I settle for normalizing the distortion of something God intended to be holy?

So here it is... whatever I say... if you can pull a innuendo out of it, I didn't put it there. And you shouldn't put it there either.

And please... if you mind does think that way... my heart is breaking. I know that God is in the business of cleaning out hearts and changing minds. Don't settle for "normal." Ask God for the extraordinary. We are living out His kingdom here on earth. Let's start now by asking for his strength to do so.

In love,

Emily Bergstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment