Monday, December 1, 2014

Pepparkakors

I have a new favorite recipe in my book.

Currently, I'm doing all of my Christmas baking. In the midst of all the cookie craze, I decided to attempt something new.

I'm sure that I've mentioned it before, but a significant portion of my heritage is Swedish. So I tried to make Pepparkakors (Ginger Cookies). They came out pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter (softened)
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (you can use molasses)
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • Extra flour for rolling out dough
Directions
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
2. Stir together butter and sugar until creamy.
3. Add the egg, maple syrup, and water to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat the mixture until it's fluffy.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the mixture 1 cup at a time. Mix well after each cup. 
5. Chill the dough for an hour
6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set out ungreased cookie sheets.
9. Divide the dough in half and roll it out on a floured surface. Aim for 1/8 inch thick.
10. Use cookie cutters (I like flowers and other scandinavian-ish festive shapes) and place the cookies 2 inches apart on the sheets.
11. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until they are lightly browned. Watch the cookies carefully. They Burn easily. Transfer to wax paper to cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment